The Windsor Herald (1855)

  • Jan. 6, 1855 to Dec. 26, 1856
  • # of Issues scanned: 104
  • # of Pages scanned: 414
  • > List of Issues

    > Search just this Title

    Scanned from microfilm.

    Publication Dates

    1855: Jan. 6th - 1861: Aug. 9th?



    Another Newspaper With The Same Name

    There was also another newspaper called the Windsor Herald that began publishing in December, 1901. It was started by Whalley and Craig, the same people who owned the Windsor Review at this time (Detroit Free Press. 1901: Dec. 1st p.6). It probably published into the 1920s, but there are no known existing issues of this paper.


    The Windsor Herald was Windsor’s first general newspaper. It was founded January 6th, 1855 by John McEwan. It appeared weekly, every Saturday morning at 10 am. It was later published on other days. Each issue was 4 pages, with 7 columns per page. It cost $2 per year, in advance. Its original slogan was: “Ever watchful over Commerce and Agriculture”.

    John McEwan tried to maintain a fairly independent political viewpoint, although his natural inclinations at this stage leaned towards the reform movement. On page 3 of the January 13th, 1855 issue, he states: “Neither the bias of a great name nor popular clamor, shall influence us…. Those principles which have for their object a reform in our institutions, shall receive our zealous support – every subject being discussed with moderation and fairness.” Eight years later, as returning officer for Essex County in the 1863 election, these principles were put to the test after a closely fought election was marred by poll book irregularities. See the Journals of the Legislative Assembly of Canada, 1864 for more information. In the same prospectus, he also says “the discussion of religious topics will be strictly prohibited”.

    John McEwan remained owner and editor until April 1856, when he was appointed Sheriff of Essex County, a position he held until 1883. He sold the newspaper to the printers: Robinson and Wade. For a biography of John McEwan, see Under McEwan’s editorship, the newspaper was a successful venture. In the January 13th, 1856 issue (p.2), he apologizes to subscribers because he was unable to obtain a sufficient supply of paper and was 200 copies short. In his farewell editorial, he speaks of the encouragement and support he received and hopes that “the present large list of subscribers may suffer no diminution (Windsor Herald, April 25th, 1856 p.2). Unfortunately, this was not the case. The Township of Sandwich (1909) states on page 208: “The Herald, it would appear, was not a shining success under the new proprietors, for in 1860 the plant was quietly moved over the river, when the creditors weren’t looking”.